Huihan Liu – 2020 Brinton 101
Huihan Liu was born in Guangzhou, China in 1952. He graduated from the Guangzhou Academy of Fine Art in 1975, with a BA from the Oil Painting Department. Afterward, he taught in the Academy’s Art School between 1979 and 1985. Huihan was accepted by the Graduate school of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Art in 1985. He went to the United State of America to further his study in 1987, receiving an M.F.A. from the Graduate School of the Academy of Art College (later renamed the Academy of Art University) in San Francisco in 1989. He taught at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco from 1993-2011 and was also a Graduate School advisor while there.
When in China, Huihan had participated in many regional and national show exhibitions. Since moving to the US, Huihan has participated in many national painting shows and invitational exhibitions. His paintings have received many awards and have been collected by both private collectors and museums, including:
- “Gold Medal for Best Painting,” California Art Club’s 92nd Annual Juried Exhibition
- “First Place Winner,” 9th Annual Mission San Juan Capistrano Plein Air Painting Event, Wilmington Trust Purchase Collection
- “First Place Painting,” Plein Air exhibition in Bower Museum of Culture Art, Bowers Museum Contemporary Plein Air Permanent Collection in Santa Ana
- “Best of Show In Painting—John Scott People’s Choice Award,” The 25th Western Rendezvous of Art, Helena
- “Gold Medal, Master Signature Division,” Oil Painters of America Western Regional Show
- “Members’ Choice Award, Master Signature Division,” Oil Painters of America National Exhibition
In 2012, Huihan’s painting “Spring of Miao Village” was selected by the Olympic Fine Arts 2012 committee and was exhibited in London during the 30th Olympic Games, later entering the permanent collection of the National Museum of China. Huihan’s work has also been featured in articles by leading national artist/collector magazines, including Art of The West, Southwest Art Magazine, The International Artists Magazine, and The Artist’s Magazine. Huihan regularly conducts invitational painting workshops both in the United States and abroad. Huihan has also taught at the painting workshop in Pixar Studio, at Fechin Painting Workshop in Taos, NM; at the Scottsdale Artists school in Scottsdale, AZ; and the Fredericksburg Artists School in Fredericksburg, TX, amongst others.
Huihan and his wife, Weizhen Liang, are both full time painters and live in Santa Rosa, CA. They both love to travel and regularly travel to Tibet, France, Italy and Taiwan for their painting subjects. His son, Jian, graduated from Cornell University in 2008.
Huihan is an Artist Member of the Guangdong Artists’ Association in China, a Master Signature Member of the Oil Painters of America, a Master Member of the American Impressionist Society, an Artist Signature Member of the California Art Club, and a School of Art & Design Guangzhou University Professor in China.